My Waste to Recycling Community Engagement Project in Naddi

                      My Waste to Resource Technical and Community Engagement Project in Naddi

It is now more than two months since I arrived in Naddi, a small village in the Himalayas where row
of pointy trees and meandering streets cheerfully hug the gigantic mountains. Overwhelmed as I was
on my arrival, it also felt that this is a perfect place for the transition phase of my life wrapped with
unknown and well-disguised possibilities. As it turns out, it was.

Like all the EduCARE interns, I too was confused and muddled with what I’m supposed to do with mytime and skills in the organisation. And like all the EduCARE interns, I found my place and role soon. I graduated as an Architect in 2017 but couldn’t figure out how significant my contribution would be to the society. I came across the internship opportunities offered by EduCARE India in various fields like Waste Management, Women Empowerment, Environmental Conversation and many more. As I was completely lost with my own future plans, EduCARE came to me as a perfect platform to explore.

After two weeks of bewilderment, I found myself a project that was initiated by one of the EduCARE
intern who later became my one of the best friends here, Jojo. The project was Recycling Paper and
Product Development. It were just a few weeks and I met some amazing people with whom I
connected instantly. But with all the excitement and unforgettable moments, there are also
goodbyes you can’t escape. In less than a month, I’ve already said about a dozen goodbyes. But in
the midst of all the confusion, change and goodbyes, my project, the community and the landscape
kept me sane.

                                                       
                                                        Drying the just recycled paper  
                                     

Talking about my project, it was simple yet challenging. In my first few weeks I learned the process
of recycling paper and making products out of it like notebooks, postcards and bookmarks. But soon
the project got strenuous with unexpected challenges. One of the important aspects of my project
was community engagement and I bet it was the most gruelling part of the project too as we
couldn’t seem to find any local person who’d be interested in paper recycling. One of the most
memorable part of my project was going to an alternate education school in Dharamkot (run by a
Swiss lady called Laurence who has been living in India since past 22 years) and teaching the kids
about paper recycling and its importance. To be honest I was quite concerned if the kids would
comprehend the process, but they surprised me by making one recycled paper for each one of them.
It was definitely a great day.


                                                                          My recycling paper activity at the school in the neighbouring village of Dharamkot with my project partner Jojo

After a month and half, when Jojo left, I found myself lost again. I couldn’t figure out how I should
continue my project. But soon I was accompanied by Steph, an intern from UK, who was interested
in my project of recycling paper. It’s been an amazing experience working with her as she also
brought solutions to the community engagement aspect of my project which I’d lost all hope in. We
started working with a local women called Rina and taught her the paper recycling process and
product development. I am quite content with the work that I’ve done during my internship and I’m
glad that now I can recycle my paper and make my own notebooks.

                         
The finished work-Beautiful notebooks made from recycled paper.

I was reading Joseph Campbell’s The Hero with a Thousand Faces during my internship here in Naddi and it certainly guided me through this transition that I am going through and also helped me
understand that how important this experience is; no matter how short but will assuredly bring forth
the hope of a larger life. Back when I’d look upon this in near future, I’d just like thank every
opportunity that was given to me, for I was scared and apprehensive when I first came but left with
courage and some beautiful moments and sights that I’m only going to see in my mind again.
This was a harsh yet beautiful time and yes, I’m sad to leave. But all transitions begin with endings
and precedes new beginnings. The day I arrived in Naddi, the mountain peaks were swaddled in
snow. Three months later, I can barely see any white on them. Looking at them now, I suddenly
remember all the faces, all the places and all the laughter.

Neha Bhatt, India
Project Manager, Paper Recycling/Product Development
Naddi Center, EduCARE India

Comments